- Created: Friday, 29 January 2010 18:43
The policy includes a proposal to cut the camping discount from 50 percent to 10 percent for holders of lifetime senior passes and access passes.
Before submitting comments, read the notice published by the Forest Service in the Federal Register. The notice requests comments on a PROPOSED revision that would change how concessionaires honor America the Beautiful passes or "Interagency" passes.
File your comments at www.regulations.gov (search for Notice ID FS-2009-0001).
The camping discount reduction applies ONLY to campgrounds operated by concessionaires on national forests and grasslands. It does NOT apply to Forest Service-operated sites or campgrounds operated by any other federal agency.
Key points of the proposal for public comment (which are described more fully and explained in the notice):
For holders of lifetime senior and access passes:
- reduction in camping discount from 50 percent to 10 percent at concession-operated campgrounds
- no change to 50 percent discount at Forest Service-operated sites
- new benefit of 10 percent discount at concession operated standard amenity fee sites
- new benefit of free admission to concession operated standard amenity fee sites
According to the Forest Service, the proposed changes would provide for coordination with concessioners to promote sustainable operations.