Motorhoming | Family Motor Coach Association
- Created: Thursday, 10 January 2013 20:01
Rand McNally has released an RV GPS app for the iPad. According to a Rand McNally press release, it is the first iOS GPS application specifically designed for RV navigation.
The new application, available at the Apple Store for $99.99, provides RV class-specific routing based on Rand McNally’s proprietary road data and navigation.
The app includes thousands of RV parks and campgrounds, RV-friendly locations, RVer tools and pre-planned trips. It also includes dynamic weather*, a map overlay feature that helps drivers anticipate conditions such as high wind and precipitation along the route.
An e-book version of the 2013 Rand McNally Road Atlas also is included.
“About 20 percent of RVers have an iPad, and many of them take it on the road,” said Dave Muscatel, CEO of Rand McNally. “Our new app lets those travelers access the same premier RV routing, navigation and content available on our RVND™ GPS devices, and load it on their tablet.”
The Rand McNally RV GPS is an on-board app that provides safe and easy routing customized for an RV or car. Unlike off-board navigation, the maps load on an iPad, providing access everywhere — even in remote areas where a cellular or Wi-Fi connection is not available. For real-time navigation as the vehicle progresses, a GPS signal is required**.The RV GPS app includes:
- Safe and easy routing for 11 types of RVs in the United States and Canada; also includes car mode for cars towed to the destination and used for excursions, or for everyday use.
- Warnings for speed limit changes, sharp curves, dirt roads, and other potential hazards.
- Millions of general and RV-specific points of interest including thousands of RV parks and campgrounds listed by category; RV parking, rest stops, exits and other locations; RV dealer information; and Rand McNally Editor’s Picks, including Best of the Road® adventures, trips, and getaways.
- Real-time weather information* including current and forecasted information for current location, destination, and anywhere along the route. Choose from 10 different map overlays to display important information for RVers, such as wind speed, current and forecasted precipitation, and weather-based traffic impact.
- RV Tools such as RV checklists to prepare for trip departure, campsite setup and more; Trails to record a “bread crumb” path from the campsite, or a favorite shortcut; Quick Planner to calculate time, distance, and cost for trips between major cities; Fuel logs to track fuel purchases, including where purchased, gallons and total cost; Tools to record vehicle maintenance.
For more information, visit www.randmcnally.com/rvgpsapp.
*For real-time weather, an Internet connection is required.
**3G/4G enabled iPads have an internal GPS receiver. Users of non-GPS enabled iPads require an external GPS device.