Cheesy Rice Casserole
Created by tmoning
, Thursday, 09 December 2010
This is a good make-ahead recipe. Assemble it in the morning; refrigerate; then bake; or microwave it in time for dinner. You can use either brown or white rice. Serve it as a hearty side dish or add a 10-ounce can of solid-pack tuna and turn it into a main dish.
At a glance
6 to 8
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4-cup milk
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Small onion, finely diced
- 8-ounce can whole-kernel corn, well drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- Squeeze margarine
- Microwave the butter in a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish until it melts. Tilt and rotate the dish to coat the bottom and sides.
- Let the cream cheese come to room temperature and mix it with the egg and milk until smooth.
- Spread the rice, onion, corn, and peas in the baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the top; drizzle with margarine from a squeeze bottle; and bake at 350 degrees until it’s golden around the edges.