Cheesy Tomato Rice Soup
Created by tmoning
, Thursday, 09 December 2010
Whip up this simple, warming, meat-free supper on a cold night and serve it with buttery popcorn, hot from the microwave oven. Crisp apple slices with a caramel dip complete the meal. Dry mustard adds fire and tang, but omit it if you prefer a milder taste.
- 10-1/2-ounce can condensed cheese soup, undiluted
- 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1/2-teaspoon dry mustard (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3-cup instant rice
- 3/4-cup whole milk or light cream
- Virgin olive oil
- Dried chives
- In a saucepan whisk together the soup, tomato sauce, water, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil; stir in the instant rice; cover; and set aside for five minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the milk and cook over very low heat until everything is heated through.
- Set out soup bowls and place a teaspoon of virgin olive oil in each.
- Ladle the soup into the bowls and sprinkle with a few dried chives.