Creamy Hash Browns
Created by tmoning
, Thursday, 09 December 2010
When you’re making a meat-and-potatoes meal, frozen hash brown potatoes are your shortcut to this crusty cake. A straight-sided, nonstick skillet works best.
- 16-ounce package frozen hash brown potatoes with onion and pepper
- 1/4-cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3-cup heavy cream or ranch dressing
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Thaw the potatoes in the original bag and drain any excess liquid.
- Add the flour to the bag; twist shut; and toss to coat the potatoes with flour.
- Heat the butter and vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet until the liquid bubbles.
- Press the thawed potatoes in an even layer into the bottom of the skillet with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook over low heat for approximately 25 minutes without stirring until a golden crust develops on the bottom.
- Flip the cake onto a serving plate or cutting board and cut into six wedges.