Grandma's Toffee Bars
Created by tmoning
, Thursday, 09 December 2010
This recipe is from the cookbook "Commander’s Wild Side." The bars are so rich that they are a cross between cookies and candy.
- 4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups smooth peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups butterscotch chips
- Set the oven for 425 degrees.
- Stir together the oats, sugar, and melted butter and press the combination evenly into a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until it is lightly colored and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. The crust will firm as it cools.
- In the top pan of a double boiler, combine the peanut butter, chocolate chips, and butterscotch chips.
- Cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, until the chips have melted. This should take approximately 15 minutes.
- Spread the hot mixture over the bar crust and let cool at room temperature for two hours or until firm and set.
- Cut into 24 squares.