Spam Grand Slam
Created by tmoning
, Thursday, 09 December 2010
Use regular or turkey Spam for this desperation dinner. It's great for times when the white bread is going stale too quickly and you’re out of fresh meat.
- 12 slices bread, crusts cut off
- 12-ounce can Spam
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 6-ounce package grated cheddar cheese
- 8-ounce package cream cheese
- Small can evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- Pinch paprika
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Spray an 8-inch-by-12-inch or a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish and arrange six slices of bread in the bottom.
- Drain the Spam and cut it into small cubes.
- Scatter the Spam, peas, and half the cheddar cheese over top of the bread slices.
- Let the cream cheese come to room temperature.
- Add enough water to the evaporated milk to make 1 cup.
- Whisk together the cream cheese, milk, eggs, and seasonings and pour into the dish.
- Cut the remaining bread diagonally and arrange atop the casserole.
- Microwave the butter just until it melts and drizzle it over the bread.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate to bake later, or bake immediately at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes or until it tests done, as for custard.
- Let the casserole stand for 10 minutes, then cut it into six portions and serve with chilled whole cranberry sauce and a medley of crisp raw vegetables.