Created by tmoning
, Thursday, 09 December 2010
Prepare this delicious, one-dish meal in a nonstick skillet and cleanup is a cinch.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut up
- 2 stalks celery, cut up
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt, pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups water plus 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1/2-cup pearl barley
- 16-ounce can white navy beans, rinsed and drained
- Snipped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a roomy skillet and brown the mushroom caps on both sides, stirring in the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper as you go.
- Remove the mushroom caps and stir the broth into the skillet.
- Bring to a boil; stir in the barley; cover; and cook until the barley is tender.
- Arrange the mushroom caps on top of the barley; ladle the beans over the mushrooms; cover; and cook until everything is heated through.
- Sprinkle with snipped parsley.