Any questions about joining? Contact us at (800) 543-3622
Home    Explore FMCA    Stay Connected    Member Login

Motorhoming | Family Motor Coach Association

If you own a longer motorhome, you need a $50 permit to drive it in Ontario, Canada. At least until the government amends a law to extend the length limit.

The maximum length for a motorhome in Ontario is set at 41 feet (12.5 meters). Motorhomes longer than that, but not exceeding 45 feet 11 inches (14 meters), may qualify for a special over-length permit.

“We hope to amend our legislation so these longer motorhomes can operate legally, without permits, starting in 2010,” said Bill Cann, with the Carrier Safety Policy Office of the Ontario Ministry of Transportation.

The $50 permit is valid until Dec. 31, 2009. The Ministry of Transportation began issuing the permits in early spring 2007.

To communicate the permit information to RV owners, on its Web site the Ontario government has posted a new section called “Recreational Vehicle Information for Drivers of Motor Homes, Truck Campers and House Trailers”: Motorhome length is addressed under the “Maximum Vehicle Dimensions” heading.

“In order for us to legally allow longer motorhomes on the highway, we need to issue these permits,” Cann said. “Once the law is amended to make them legal, the permits will no longer be needed.”

Mirrors that extend beyond the front of the motorhome are not included in the overall length of the vehicle. Extensions or equipment affixed to the rear of the motorhome are included.

For more information about obtaining an over-length permit for a motorhome, contact the Ministry of Transportation:

Phone: (416) 246-7166 ext. 6306
Fax: (905) 704-2545

Postal mail:
Ministry of Transportation
O/O Permits, 3rd Floor
301 St. Paul St.
St. Catharines Ontario L2R 7R4

RV Marketplace

RV repair, campgrounds, products ...

Coming Events X

No new events at this time.