Motorhoming | Family Motor Coach Association
"You can see all the stars as you walk down Hollywood Boulevard ... "— from the song "Celluloid heroes" by The Kinks
Isn't it time motorhomes received their props as celluloid heroes? Certainly they've paid their dues.
Motor coaches have played the roles of military fighting machine and bathroom savior. They've been destroyed by dinosaurs, and in the movie RV, virtually destroyed by Robin Williams. For goodness' sake, they've even floated through space!
Here are 13 movies in which motorhomes have appeared or co-starred. Can you match the movie titles with their descriptions?
And the Oscar for Best Vehicle in a Supporting Role goes to ...
|A. Spaceballs||H. What's Eating Gilbert Grape|
|B. Stripes||I. The Lost World: Jurassic Park|
|C. Independence Day||J. Christmas Vacation|
|D. Tin Cup||K. The Wild Thornberrys Movie|
|E. About Schmidt||L. Two Weeks Notice|
|F. From Dusk Till Dawn||M. Meet the Fockers|
|G. Lost in America|
1. Albert Brooks and his wife, played by Julie Haggerty, decide that corporate America is not the place for them. They liquidate their assets to start a "nest egg," buy a motorhome, and hit the road. A stop in Las Vegas to renew wedding vows ruins their dreams, as Haggerty gambles away their savings. Bye, bye, nest egg.
2. Will Smith and patriotic citizens in RVs rally to save the planet from aliens.
3. Johnny Depp's future girlfriend (played by Juliette Lewis) and her grandmother arrive in town in their RV. The story focuses on Depp's relationship with his obese mother and retarded younger brother.
4. In a specially designed Fleetwood motorhome, scientists Jeff Goldblum and Laura Dern encounter a tyrannosaurus rex and other dinosaurs. Bye, bye, motorhome.
5. Bill Murray goes behind the Iron Curtain in a top-secret RV shaped like a GMC motorhome.
6. In Mel Brooks' satire of the Star Wars saga, John Candy and Bill Pullman travel through space in a motorhome to save planet Druidia — and a princess — from an evil lord.
7. An animated family travels the African plains in their high-tech, gadget-filled RV while their daughter is stuck at a stuffy boarding school. The RV can convert to a submarine.
8. Jack Nicholson drives his 35-foot Winnebago Adventurer from Nebraska to Colorado to try to reconnect with his engaged daughter. At a campground en route, he meets an RVing couple who marvel at his new coach and invite him over to their older, less-equipped model.
9. Traffic is jammed. Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock bolt from their car and dash up the highway. It's not an action movie, but it is an emergency of sorts. Sandra has to use the bathroom, and they've spotted a lifesaver up ahead — a motorhome.
10. Washed-up golfer Kevin Costner makes a comeback while traveling in a motorhome and romancing psychologist Rene Russo.
11. Randy Quaid (Cousin Eddie), drives to visit Chevy Chase and the Griswalds in a mint-green RV. A sewage mishap occurs ...
12. Outlaws George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino take preacher Harvey Keitel and his two kids hostage and use their motorhome to cross the U.S.-Mexican border. The motorhome has to pass a tense inspection at the border. Watch out, because this film features a twist — it's a crime drama-turned-vampire-horror movie.
13. Robert De Niro's character drives a Fleeetwood Pace Arrow to Florida to meet his son's fiance's parents, played by Barbra Streisand and Dustin Hoffman, in this movie sequel.
Answers: 1 - G; 2 - C; 3 - H; 4 - I; 5 - B; 6 - A; 7 - K; 8 - E; 9 - L; 10 - D; 11 - J; 12 - F; 13 - M